Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

#178 WOYWW

Hello Everyone.
So nice to have some extra time to participate in Julia's WOYWW over at the STAMPING GROUND
A chance to peep about lots of others creative workspaces. Hop on over and she has the details.

I am almost organized throughout my crafty space, but have my desk in order to start making some Christmas crafts for our craft fair end of Nov.  This time I am hoping to keep things more orderly all thru the house so I don't have an aftermath mess.

I lit a Blessed Candle and said a lot of prayers for the safety of the people involved in the hurricane that hit the most part of  the Eastern United States. We were like glued to the TV all of the first night. Then today I
spent more of my day watching the Eastern Coast terrible storm and the devastation "Sandy" has created.
It is so very sad.. subways ruined, hospitals evacuated, people homeless and no doubt their cities will never be the same.And 24 inches of snow in some states also... most with no electricity for up to 10 days in some areas.
The 80 homes lost to fire will no doubt be the only ones with help as insurance might be available, otherwise if like the 2008 Cedar Rapids floods you are just out of  luck..and ALL of the historic downtown was ruined. and still has not recovered. Buildings being torn down and replaced and also goes for the Missouri River floods in Western Iowa and Nebraska last year..no help for water. No one carries Flood Insurance as this type of  thing has not really happened to any of these areas.

Thanks for stopping by, have a wonderful time visiting WOYWW friends. That's what I'm off to do.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy WOYWW. I love your desk - and what a lot of pliers!! Re. flood insurance. Here in the UK we have a lot of flooding (especially in recent years) and it is now difficult for homes in at-risk areas to get insurance. I always make sure I live in a relatively safe area - no rivers or at the bottom of valleys for me. Ali x #55

Helen said...

Great desk, so neat - hope you keep it like that (would love to be neat & tidy!) Helen, 4

sandra de said...

Such a tidy and organised desk. All the best with creating for the craft fair in Nov.
Sandra @87

kay said...

your desk looks lovely and organised
have a fab woyww
kay #75

Glenda said...

Lovely space this week! We just scooted by with only rain, wind and cold temps from Sandy. The mountains here had 2 feet of snow on top. This storm has brought so much devestation to so many states! Hope you have a wonderful WOYWW!

Annie said...

I'm sat reading my WOYWW blogs on my sick bed this week but have my mask on so you don't catch anything. I'm enjoying reading what everyone is up to this week [it's better than reading magazines :-) ]. I'm leaving a copied comment so you know I've called by because my hands are too weak and shaky to keep typing out my comments this week.
Big hugs,
A x #93

Helen T said...

What a great looking workspace. Happy WOYWW - Helen T #65

Twiglet said...

Your little pink items are looking good in your craft room. Yes - we are all thinking of those poor folk struggling with the storm and hope life gets back to normal soon. x Jo

Serendipity Stamping said...

Snazzy desk area today. Flood insurance can be a joke. We lived on Mississippi River in Iowa and unless you have a walk-out basement the only thing it covers are the furnace, water heater, etc. No furniture or belongins, only the working utilities to run the house are covered. We did get lucky and get a little money, but not much. Of course, no insurance covers actual loss. So sad for those who lose everything. Bless them.

Elizabeth said...

Lovely desk, Sylvia, you seem to have all your tools out ready to go and it does sound as though you are going to be busy too. I, too, feel for the folks affected by the hurricane. If the insurers can wriggle out of paying out they will most certainly do so which is morally reprehensible at such times. I hear on the news that your President has said that all should be done without delay, cutting through the red tape that usually hinders progress, to help the victims - hopefully, he will be listened to. Also heard that some people are suggesting that as New York can no longer be considered a safe place to live, it's too low lying, there is an argument for rebuilding elsewhere - I wonder how many New Yorkers will agree. Thankfully, the worst seems to be over and it is now time to start putting everything to rights again. Wishing you a happy WOYWW and a good week. Elizabeth x #76

okienurse said...

So really sad what happened to the Cedar Rapids flooding victims. I think the government should have made the insurance companies pay instead of letting it ride as an act of god! I feel for all the people on the coast who are homeless now. Where will they all go? I was proud of Obama jumping in so quickly and telling FEMA and the government to help those left homeless by the storm. Better then what they did down in New Orleans with Katrina! Thanks for sharing and commenting by my blog! Have a great week! Vickie #37

Unknown said...

Ohh la la I would love to rummage through your goodies here! #25 The people in the storm's path have been on our hearts and t.v.'s too.

Anonymous said...

Lovely organised space and you sound like you will be busy. The devestation over in the US had us all praying for you people over there. Its going to take quite a while to get things sorted.
Tricia 111

Robin said...

I find your large frame that looks like it has chicken wire on it very interesting. Is that a bulletin board? Did you make it? It's really neat! Hope you have a wonderful Halloween night!

Angie said...

So organized ...everything in its place ready for action ...now thats what I dream of being like ...but I am just too disorganized.
'Sandy' has so much to answer for ...we over the pond have been watching and following ...praying that our blog fiends are safe, xx#101

Julia Dunnit said...

Looks like your aftermath will be very calm Sylvia, I agree, it's so much better if it doesn't take a week to tidy and get over a fair. Great good luck with it. And there we have the essence of the lives of millions this week...aftermath. Here we can but watch and offer support.

SueH said...

You’re so organized Sylvia, bet it doesn’t stay that way for long thought once you get started, I know mine wouldn’t. Good luck with your Christmas makes.

Happy Crafting!
Sue @ 125
x

suziqu's thread works said...

Hi Sylvia,
How are you going? Thank you for sharing more details about "Sandy". Here in Australia it has been covered but not to the extent that you are seeing it in your own country. It is hard to believe there were so many house fires during all of that - I so feel for all the people made temporarily homeless!

It goes to show you don't need heaps of room to create beautiful things - you are totally organized dear woman!

Love your painted items in the previous posts too.

Have a lovely Sunday,
Hugs,
Suzy

Queen Lightwell said...

Thought I would leave a comment because I'm fascinated that we have lots of similar supplies...but we store them so differently! Hope you can pop by my desk and have a look see. :) Just noticed you live in Iowa...my son's grandma lives in Independence, Iowa. We love visiting up there, especially in the summer, as it is so much nicer than down here in Oklahoma. :) Anyways, it looks like your desk is ready for action, hope you get to "play" soon. :)
Deeyll #60

Lynn Stevens said...

Its just terrible what has happened in the Eastern seaboard. My heart goes out to all thats been affected. I watched the news program last night and saw so much more than was first reported.
Hope you have fun making all your Christmas creations.
hugs Lynn