As a child, we made homemade valentines. Remember the folding of tiny strips of paper criss cross, you glued one end to the inside of your card, put a funny face, a heart, or a fun saying on the other end and when the card was opened it jumped out to greet you? The Valentine exchanges at school....usually with some sort of homemade treats, a favorite was sugar cookies.
Over the years, our family made and sent or gave each other cards, a homemade treat, some candy in little decorated bags etc. I usually have saved all of these ! ! ! ...I collected hearts for many years and I use them to decorate after I take down Christmas decor in January. But then I decorate for all changes of the season so it never seemed unusual to me not to put up Valentine decorations.
And it's not the only time of the year that we share a few fun things with our mates. It's just a day that we recognize there are special people in lives and we enjoy "SHARING" with them on a day set aside to do so.
The history of Valentines Day can be found here : http://www.theholidayspot.com/valentine/history_of_valentine.htm I found it quite interesting. It goes back a LONG, LONG time ago.
Thanks for stopping by, I'll be here the 14th with more!!!!

4 comments:
Valentine's day is sort of opposite here in Japan than in the States - it's the women's responsibility on Feb. 14th to give chocolates to her man, and some to other friends in her life. Then one month later, on March 14th, it's the man's turn to give to the lady, and it is customary for him to spend 3x on her what she spent on him. They are big on monetary rules like that! I thought that was interesting... thanks for sharing your perspective, I agree and think we read too much into things - it's a great day to celebrate those we love!
I didn't realize the whole world didn't celebrate :(
maybe that's what we need:
PEACE & LOVE DAY
~victoria~
Thanks for sharing, Sylvia. I enjoyed your post and the info on the link you provided.
And I second the call for a PEACE and LOVE Day!
Hugs,
Linda
Hi Sylvia,
I sent you an email but you may not get it. I'm sure I'm too late to participate in the Valentine's ATC swap, but if you'd be interested in swapping I would love to!! I've had to put away my craft supplies as company is arriving this week. But perhaps next month? My email is 505whimsygirl@gmail.com
Hugs,
Kay
Post a Comment